The Free Church
Canon City, Colorado
Why We Love This Opportunity
This healthy, unified church is nestled in one of the most desirable small town environments in the Rocky Mountain region! Cañon City is known as the “Climate Capital of Colorado.”
This church, the local community, and the regional opportunities make this position a hidden gem for the right Senior Pastor!
About This Organization
Originally formed in 1974, 16 “starters” began what was known as the Community Bible Church. They met in the old hospital, dance halls, and other various places. Their first two temporary pastors were from The Navigators. In the late ’70s, they joined the Evangelical Free Church of America, purchased their first building, and hired their first “real” Pastor, Paul Alleman.
In September 1982, The Free Church hired Jim Thulson as Senior Pastor. Their church was about 60 in number then. He shepherded The Free Church for 39.5 years through many milestones. He remained in leadership until God’s timing told him it was time for a new Pastor. He facilitated growth to an average Sunday attendance of 600, necessitating increased staffing to include a Youth Pastor, Worship Pastor, Adult Ministry Pastor, Children’s Ministry director, and more.
The Free Church purchased 12 acres to build a new church and in 1995 they moved into their current facility. They have since added a Student Center to facilitate child and family ministries. Construction of the new building allowed the church to bless the community through the use of the multi-purpose facility. The sanctuary is not set aside for only Sunday mornings. It is used for multiple functions, often as a community center to bring families together throughout the week.
Under the direction of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Senior Pastor (SP) is given the challenge and responsibility of visioning, equipping, and shepherding The Free Church of Cañon City’s ministry and staff team to successfully, as a body of disciples, accomplish the church’s stated mission.
- Shepherd strategically the deployment of our ministry’s leadership staff so that synergistic teamwork fosters an aligned effort in mission accomplishment
- Provide biblical, mission-aligned, and vision-stimulating teaching and communication to the body and leadership so that understand, grows in, and cooperate effectively in ministry mission accomplishment
- Contribute to the strategic planning and steps of future, fruitful ministry
- Seek prayerfully God’s presence and power in our mission accomplishment
- Provide direction and counsel to our Elder Board in concert with the Ministry Staff
- Provide pastoral care—personally, through ministry staff, and through volunteer shepherding group leaders–so that Jesus-followers walk obediently and in the power of the Spirit with their Lord, through the challenging passageways of life.
What a Strong Candidate Would Look Like:
- A mature, growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a life controlled and directed by the Holy Spirit.
- Full alignment with the 10-article statement of faith of the Evangelical Free Church of America (cf. http://www.efca.org ) as well as the Free Church’s by-laws, mission, philosophy of ministry, values, and as well as the policies outlined in the church’s employee handbook.
- Demonstrated abilities in Biblical understanding and teaching, and professional knowledge in the appropriate areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with a wide variety of people.
Share This resource