Valley Vineyard Church
Executive Associate Pastor
Why We Love This Opportunity
The Executive Associate Pastor will have a great opportunity to work with a church that is unique in its community. This leader will need to think of this similar to a church plant with an established core team, budget, and building that can be leveraged to move into its next ministry season.
This is a full-time position, working alongside Pastor Jimmy Reyes and a small team of staff members. This presents a great opportunity to take on leadership responsibilities while learning from a seasoned leader who knows both ministry and the community well.
Some of the upcoming challenges the new leader will have the opportunity to lead through include:
- Developing/implementing models of volunteer leadership development.
- An organized and administrative leader who remains flexible/adaptive in pursuit of the mission.
- The uncertainty and challenges, and difficulties of COVID are a reality here as they are for all churches.
About This Organization
Kenn Gullikson established the first Vineyard in 1974 in the Westside of Los Angeles. It outgrew several locations before moving to the beach for several years. While renting space from Saint Paul’s Methodist in Tarzana, Valley Vineyard Church was incorporated in May 1979. Later that year, Kenn planted and pastored the West LA Vineyard while Bill Dwyer remained to become the pastor of Valley Vineyard Church. Bill served as the founding and lead pastor of the Valley Vineyard Church for 40 years. After Bill’s retirement, Jimmy Reyes was appointed as lead pastor in 2020. Before that time, Jimmy had served on staff at Valley Vineyard Church as an associate pastor.
In 1992, Valley Vineyard Church purchased and refurbished property in Reseda, which has been its home since then. The building mortgage was paid off in 2018.
The church increased from the original 60 people to 250 in 1985, 500 in 1992, and 600 in 1996. From the original two churches in Los Angeles, Vineyard churches worldwide is now more than 2,400! Pre-COVID, the membership was at 400.
Learn more about the Vineyard movement and association of churches here: https://vineyardusa.org
The Executive Associate Pastor carries the role of supporting and serving the Lead Pastor by:
- Creating systems that advance the mission, vision, and values of the church
- Providing general leadership, care, and oversight for ministry leaders, members, and pre-members of the church
- Supporting the vision and ministry of the Lead Pastor
- Supervision and coaching for staff
- Administration of finances
- Management of building
- Oversee the administration of the church management software, IT needs, and social media activity
The successful candidate will:
- Have a proven track record of growing a ministry in a community setting that has interactions with a diversity of people
- Possess extensive pastoral or management experience, with additional experience in leadership development, team building, delegation and organization/administration.
- An understanding of budget, financial, and fiscal management, as well as human resource management
- Strong organization skills, excellent strategic and management leadership
- Demonstrated history of strong, positive interpersonal and communication skills, including positive experience in conflict resolution.
- A record of making disciples who make disciples and developing leaders who develop more leaders
- 3 years minimum leading in a similar environment
Share This resource