We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
WAY Media, Inc. is the parent company of the WAY-FM radio network, a nonprofit radio and digital media ministry headquartered in Colorado Springs, CO. Its mission is to influence this generation to love and follow Jesus through culturally-relevant media by being Uplifting, Upbeat, Real.
WAY-FM was founded in 1987 by Bob & Felice Augsburg with a single station in Ft. Myers, Florida. Today, WAY-FM is in 35 markets in twelve states, with 23 full power FM stations and 15 translators. Their latest acquisition in Dallas signed on in October 2015. They have a major digital presence on the Internet and are expanding their reach overseas as well. There are 90 full-time and 20 part-time employees, with an annual operating budget of approximately $14 million. The organization is still led by Bob Augsburg – who has announced his retirement effective later this year – and by Lloyd Parker, COO for the past 11 years, and Faron Dice, Chief Content Officer, who has been with the organization for 14 years.
WAY-FM broadcasts 24/7/365 and features unique, quality programming like The Wally Show during morning drive and Carlos & Joy in the afternoons. The Brant Hansen Show is also heard each weekday in the mid-mornings. Each market feels localized, although much of the network’s programming originates out of their Nashville location. The messages are real, speaking honestly about not only the joys, but also the challenges and harsh realities of life … always providing hope and pointing people to the source of all hope, a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Their 2020 Vision, launched several years ago, seeks to reach 10 million people around the world by 2020 – two million through terrestrial radio, 5 million online, and three million internationally. Their digital strategy includes iOS and Android apps, interactive online streaming, unique digital programming from Power FM (an edgier rock format) and WAY New (featuring brand new music from both established and indie artists), the WAY Nation podcast, a content-rich website, relevant and consistent social media feeds and compelling, original video content. They also have a strong and growing international strategy in place.
WAY is blessed with a clear and compelling vision, and are very healthy financially, relationally and functionally. The staff also describes the organization as a fun place to work; the people are professional and there is a strong sense of unity around the mission. Their business model – local staffs ministering to local people in local ways – is working extremely well. Both listener support and gifts from their Business Impact Partners remain solid. There are plenty of very talented and committed people on the team, and stories of changed lives are heard from listeners nearly every day.
The big question that must be answered going forward is, “How do we survive and thrive in this ever-changing media landscape?” While their numbers are still strong and growing, it’s really anyone’s guess as to what the long-term future of terrestrial radio will be. WAY’s emphasis is on quality program, on content creation and on undergirding their future with a strong digital presence. The new President & CEO will play the key role in addressing these challenges.
So what is the ideal candidate doing right now? Perhaps they’re a senior director or VP in digital marketing or sales at an agency or major media or broadcast company. Or they may be managing a large market radio station (either mainstream or Christian) or a small group of stations. They could be in a key leadership role at a network. Or they may be overseeing media or digital marketing at a large Christian nonprofit.
Wherever they are, they are leading. They’re digital and social media savvy and are a lifelong learner. Terms like visionary, passionate, collaborative, innovative, well-networked, humble and a successful change agent describe them well. WAY’s new CEO will play a key role in helping them move from being a radio ministry to being a 21st Century digital media company.
Title: President & Chief Executive Officer
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reports to: Board of Directors
General Function: Under the authority and direction of the Board of Directors, the President & CEO oversees the day-to-day operations and champions the mission, vision and core values of WAY Media, Inc. through development and execution of strategies designed to achieve organizational goals and priorities, including fulfillment of the board-approved 2020 Vision.
Direct Reports: Chief Operating Officer, Chief Content Officer, Director of Engineering, Director of Donor Development.
“Must Have” Qualifications:
- SPIRITUAL – Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ; maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of WAY Media. Has a passion to carry out the Mission of WAY Media. Willingness to adhere to WAY Media’s Standards of Conduct/Moral Boundaries and Statement of Faith; upholds WAY MEDIA’s ministry in prayer; demonstrates behaviors aligned with WAY Media’s core values. A faithful attendee (10+ years) of a local church and actively serves.
- LEADERSHIP – 10+ years of proven management skills that will allow for direction of all executives and inspirational leadership to staff at all levels. Significant experience interacting with Board Members and senior leadership. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, persuasive negotiator, consensus builder and resolution driver.
- REVENUE – 5+ years’ experience in donor, sales and/or business influence skills that demonstrate creating and growing income streams for business and/or ministries.
- STRATEGIC/VISIONARY – A combination of education and experience that shows the ability to implement/set and communicate the future vision and strategic plan to achieve the organization’s current and future goals. Able to assess and implement a successful organizational structure and culture in close partnership with the Executive Team. Experience with strengthening marketing, social media and branding programs and strategies.
- MEDIA EXPERIENCE – Through media-related vocation or avocation, adept at understanding the business models, regulatory requirement and best practices. Experience could encompass digital media, radio, TV, streaming, music and/or other areas that apply to the mission of WAY Media.
- FINANCIAL – Ensure proper financial controls are in place with funds being allocated in accordance with good stewardship priorities.
- OVERVIEW – Able to digest new information and become adept enough to function in the guidance and decisions a CEO must make after drawing input from trusted sources and conferring with staff. Develop or have a working understanding of finance as it applies to the ministry, FCC law, social and digital media.
- ADAPTABILITY – Able to apply wisdom and seek council in hereto for, unfamiliar areas that are material to the goals and well-being of the ministry.
- RADIO INDUSTRY – Prior radio industry management experience (minimum two years), particularly in a Christian music format. Able to oversee programming and talent acquisition strategy, compliance with FCC Regulations, ensuring that all license protection procedures are in place.
- LEADERSHIP – Prior experience managing large organizations (50+ staff members). Applying the principles of delegation and also showing agility at deep issue engagement when seemly. Networking and industry contacts capabilities, demonstrated through means, such as involvement or leadership in a national trade or ministry organization.
- RADIO BUSINESS – Experience with radio signal expansion, station upgrades, station acquisition evaluation and review of both office and tower leases. Ability to lead negotiations with respect to purchasing new radio properties.
- DONOR MANAGEMENT – 10+ years’ experience developing relationships with key donors or other supporters of an organization, resulting in successful fundraising efforts.
- NONPROFIT – Senior leadership roles in a nonprofit environment highly desired.
- MULTI-STATE – Senior management experience in a multi-state organization.
- EDUCATION – Bachelor’s Degree or above in a related field.
- CHURCH INVOLVEMENT – Key leadership role in the local church.
- TRAVEL – Ability to travel up to 25%.
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
To download the full Opportunity & Position Profile for this role, click here.