This position has been filled.
Since its beginning more than sixty years ago, Church Development Fund (CDF) has provided financing for the expansion, building and growth of churches and ministries all across the United States, thanks to thousands of individuals who have invested roughly $500 million.
CDF’s mission is, simply stated, to Help Ministries Grow. It was established primarily to provide financial assistance to churches – specifically to a fellowship of churches that typically define themselves as being a part of what has become known as the “Restoration Movement.” As such, their lending and investment activities are limited to only independent Christian Churches, Churches of Christ, or other autonomous churches or ministries exemplifying the characteristics of congregations and ministries that are identified with that Movement.
CDF is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Irvine, California as part of the larger Provision Ministry Group. It has approximately 40 full-time and part-time employees, most of which are located at their main office, with a network of field representatives throughout the country. The organization is sound, vibrant, growing and excited about the future.
Church Development Fund is known for connecting members of their affiliated churches with a Kingdom-expanding purpose as well as providing creative financial solutions to churches that help them grow their ministries. As such, the organization provides two main services: (1) loans for expansion of church ministry and facilities and (2) investment opportunities for individuals and churches who desire to both invest in the work of Kingdom expansion and realize a reasonable financial return on that investment.
CDF is led by Dusty Rubeck, who has served as its president since early 2014, following ten years as president of Dallas Christian College, Lou Myers, its EVP of Lending & Investments, whose professional career spans 35 years of local, regional and international experience in commercial banking, and Phil Pike, EVP/COO, who has been on staff for 13 years after nearly a decade of executive experience in banks and credit unions.
OPPORTUNITY & CHALLENGE
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with a proven track record in developing and implementing successful marketing programs in an industry that shares characteristics related to the principal business of CDF. The ideal candidate could be from retail commercial banking, investment or insurance services, private banking or wealth management. Or they may have served in a key marketing role for a nonprofit fundraising organization that is nationwide in scope and focused mainly on small to mid-sized contributors, or with a Christian nonprofit organization that has experience in church relations or successful marketing to churches.
Job Title: Vice President, Marketing
Reports To: Executive Vice President, Lending and Investments
The Vice President/Marketing is responsible for developing and executing an approved annual marketing plan for CDF and its related entities.
- Preparing an annual marketing plan for approval by executive management
- Implementing the plan successfully and reporting periodically on progress
- Supervising both internal staff and external resources to accomplish the goals and objectives of the marketing plan and any revisions that occur during the year
- Managing an assigned budget appropriately and accounting for each aspect of the annual plan in a manner to demonstrate the results and value of each
- Sharing in the accountability for the overall goals to grow the number of investors in CDF’s targeted segments and borrowing churches
- Supporting the business development activities of the Ministry Development group and other CDF entities as required and agreed upon
- Developing and implementing an agreed plan to strategically position CDF’s brand and its leadership in a manner to maximize their impact in our market
- Participate in the annual strategic planning process by providing market, competitive and demographic information to inform the choices made by the executive management
- Plan and submit for approval each year a marketing plan and budget with goals and targets
- Implement the approved plan and provide periodic reports on progress
- Develop an annual market and customer research plan and implement
- Use the results of research to establish an investor segmentation scheme that serves as a basis for product development and promotion as well as a data-driven advertising and communication program
- Conduct regular competitor assessments and establish an intentional process to collect all available information on our competition to establish actionable market intelligence
- Support the Ministry Development group’s business development activity by providing leads for qualified opportunities through the use of a central research and prospecting unit
- Build and maintain a comprehensive church database and serve as the business owner of CDF’s CRM system and its customer data
- Prepare and obtain approval for a comprehensive communication plan that enhances CDF’s brand image, communicates its core values and mission; and places CDF and its leadership in front of its key constituencies on a frequent basis
- Conduct regular market and customer communication using all available channels to assure the most cost-effective use of the available budget
- Provide the Investment Pricing Committee with market and customer information that will support its activities and decisions
- Support CDF’s program for donor development and fundraising by developing advertising, collateral material, branding and communication plans
- Coordinate with the marketing functions of the Provision Ministry Group’s other entities to assure a consistent portrayal of Provision Ministry Group and to assure that unproductive overlapping marketing resources can be minimized
- Effectively manage all external or outsourced firms to assure that their work meets CDF’s quality standards and that all deliverables are provided within the expected timeframes
- Manage the implementation of CDF’s event schedule and assure that every event or sponsorship is well planned, that appropriate resources are deployed and that there is excellent coordination with the business development team to assure maximum value;
- Provide regular reports of progress in achieving goals and objectives as well as forecasts of activities planned for the following period
- Other duties as assigned
- A living faith in Jesus Christ
- Understands and can advocate the theology and principles of the Restoration Movement
- Preferred to be a participating member of a Restoration Movement church congregation
- Previous successful experience as the head of marketing with at least 5 years relevant experience in an organization in industries similar in function to CDF
- Has managed with an annual budget in the range of $1–3 million
- Has successfully grown a customer base by a significant measure during his/her tenure on a targeted segmentation basis
- A business degree from a qualified institution
- Possesses the ability to be creative
- Has an understanding of all relevant marketing activities including:
Research and analysis
Data mining and segmentation
CRM and database management
Service quality and customer experience
Branding and positioning
Advertising and communication
Marketing channels such as print, video, digital, etc.
Website and content management
Outbound calling for new account generation and customer retention
Fundraising and donor development
Agency and vendor management
Planning and budgeting
Supervision and management
- Ability to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, and rapid change to reach ultimate team objectives
- Functions effectively in a collaborative environment
- A balanced combination of the ability to plan and execute the plan
- A persuasive personality and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong oral/written communication skills
- Adequate computer skills including experience with MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, as well as familiarity with both database and design programs
- Residence in Southern California is not required, although there will be a need to travel to Irvine, CA and/or Dallas, TX periodically
- Salary Range: Competitive and commensurate with related experience and expertise.
- Benefits: Choice of family medical plans through Aetna, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, FSAs, Life Insurance, 403(b) or 401(k) Plans.
- Vacation: Accrued after 90 days of service. Based on length of service and years of industry experience.
- Relocation: Negotiable.
This position has been filled.
To learn more about Church Development Fund, please visit www.cdfonline.org.