The ministry of Uncharted International was birthed just over twenty years ago out of a local church with the sponsorship of a single orphanage in Myanmar. It was launched as a separate 501(c)3 in 2010 in order to better represent the greater Evansville/Tri-State community and the broad number of churches and donors who had become involved in supporting its work. That single orphanage of twenty children has now grown to eleven orphanages with more than 600 children as well as a number of other initiatives around the world that have been developed to both broaden and deepen the organization’s impact.
The mission of Uncharted International is to provide medical, educational, economic and spiritual development in under-resourced countries in several parts of the world. Their goal is to reverse the cycle of poverty in some of the poorest areas of the world by bringing “contagious hope and dignity” to those they serve, and they are driven by the belief that, given the opportunity, the poor have both the capacity and the desire to become self-sufficient.
Uncharted works in the “10/40 window,” focusing on four areas of the world–Central Asia, Myanmar, China and Dubai in the United Arab Emirates–by providing tools that help build lifelong sustainability and promote leadership development. In addition to their work overseas, they have become a significant discipling ministry for the local community of Evansville and are committed to raising awareness of, involvement in, and commitment to global missions there. The ministry has served as a great “melting pot,” bringing many different area churches together for a common missions purpose, and they have become an integral part of the missions strategy for a number of area churches.
UI has continued to grow each year and now has four full-time or near full-time employees in its home office (along with a host of volunteers) and an annual budget of $1.5 million. A Board of Directors made up of key church, business and political leaders from the area governs the organization. The organization’s headquarters is a newly-remodeled storefront along one of the busiest streets in Evansville, which also serves as a shop featuring Fair Trade goods created by those Uncharted serves around the world. Last year, more than 85% of their revenues from donors went to support their programs in the field.
Uncharted International believes in the value of “going with their money”… in other words, they don’t just send money and management support. Their donors have the opportunity to visit those they support in the field through a strong commitment the organization has to short-term missions trips. More than 800 donors have visited Myanmar alone, and this past year, Uncharted hosted ten international trips ranging in size from 10–70 participants.
The next Executive Director may currently be the missions pastor in a large church or part of a global nonprofit missions organization. Or he/she may be at the “halftime” of life, having achieved personal success but now feeling called to a new role of significance for the Kingdom, someone with international experience and a demonstrated heart for the poor. Whoever they are, they need to be an empowering leader and team builder, able to motivate others toward their best work or toward deeper involvement with the ministry–a public face and voice for the organization who is also a strategic thinker and implementer behind the scenes–someone who can see the bigger picture of community transformation (both locally and abroad) while not losing sight of the importance of the day-to-day.
Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
General Function: Under the authority and direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director champions the vision of Uncharted International through development and execution of strategic initiatives designed to achieve organizational goals and priorities.
Direct Reports: Director of Operations, Director of Marketing & Development, Country Director/Myanmar (plus a shared Administrative person).
Organizational Top Priorities: The new Executive Director will develop and execute:
- a prayer-driven, multiplying, self-sustaining church-planting strategy.
- a sustainable, holistic, humanitarian strategy which works in effective balance with church planting
- meaningful involvement with the community in global missions including mobilizing and equipping the local church
- a strategy to grow Uncharted’s capacity to resource partnerships and projects.
Characteristics and Qualifications:
- Strategic thinker
- Experienced in organizational leadership
- Effective communicator
- Donor developer
- Organizational manager
- Effective delegator
- Experience in global outreach, missions and/or church planting
- Serves and leads Uncharted toward fulfillment of priorities and mission.
- Portrays “wins” effectively to donor base, partners and public.
- Encourages and raises donors confidence.
- Develops annual budget/financial plan (w/ board approval), building staff and organizational structure around priorities.
- Knows and understands that personal character is tied to leadership and organizational expectations.
- Understands and practices conferring of authority and delegation for organizational growth.
- Becomes an advocate for Disciple-Making Movements and Church Multiplication Movements.
- Understands missions.
- Connected within nonprofit industry.
- Exhibits creativity and innovation.
- Ability to travel up to 30%.
To download the full Opportunity & Position Profile, click here.
To learn more about the ministry of Uncharted International, click here.