First Church of Lubbock, TX is ready for innovation in their youth ministry. COVID-19 in many ways has served as the “hard stop” so that a new day in student ministry can begin. Church leadership, students, leaders and parents are excited about building a relationally-based ministry that influences the community!
First Church is a historic faith community located in the heart of downtown Lubbock, Texas. Over the years, they have developed a strong history of traditional and contemporary worship, local outreach, and Christian education.
The church sits prominently in the main corridor of downtown businesses and is easily accessible to the community. The church has done a wonderful job of keeping the buildings modern, yet preserving the historic exterior and beautiful sanctuary.
In 2005, First Church built an addition that houses the youth ministry. This area includes a full gymnasium, a kitchen, a fantastic gaming room, a large gathering space, several classes, an office area, and an indoor track. Most of this space is dedicated solely to youth ministry.
As a downtown church, First Lubbock ministry extends across the city and county, including several school districts and surrounding towns.
Vision for this position: To foster a grace-filled youth community and culture whereby all youth can become resilient disciples of Jesus Christ. The hope is that, through our community, young men and women will:
- Experience the hospitable love of Jesus
- Discover faith in Jesus
- Grow in wisdom and understanding through Biblical teaching
- Experience Christ-like relationships and community
- Develop discernment skills needed to faithfully follow Jesus in a post-Christian world Live out their love of God and neighbor through service, mission, and witness
- Discover and develop their gifts to live out God’s vocational calling in their lives
Expectations to fulfill the vision:
- Develop programming that serves the vision listed above
- Oversee Sunday morning small group ministry
- Choose curriculum and format of groups
- Oversee/teach the Confirmation Class
- Raise up youth-aged leaders through the Youth Leadership Team
- Connect and collaborate with wider church staff
- Build a strong relationship with the children’s ministry
- Supervise all Youth Ministry staff (Assistant Director (if applicable), Intern(s), Administrative Assistant)
- Build and grow a team of volunteers
- Recruit, train, support, and resource adult leaders
- Connect, communicate with and equip parents