This position has been filled.
Learning. For life. LivingStone International University exists to transform Africa through quality, Christ-centered higher education. Built on the prayers and vision of missionaries who found that the best way to address the root causes of injustice was to raise up ethical, educated Christian leaders, LivingStone has seen audacious growth. All built on courageous faith.
Located in Mbale, Uganda, the university opened its doors in 2012. In just five short years, it has grown from a few individuals to currently equipping 287 students from ten African nations with nationally recognized excellence. The university is currently operating in a temporary campus and is developing its own permanent campus, able to house and educate a nation’s future leaders. Offering Christ-centered mentoring and educational excellence, 90% of students graduate and 83% gain employment.
The Senior Director of Development will have a front row seat to the big work God is doing, advancing the sky-high potential of the organization for Kingdom impact by developing and implementing strategies for sustainable, relational fundraising. And they will accomplish this with the strength of partners, joining an admired, unified and faith-filled leadership team. This team includes an actively giving- and-advocating US Board and a CEO and Executive Director who bring decades of industry and marketing expertise.
LivingStone has two offices—one on the Ugandan campus and a fundraising office in Fort Worth, TX. The successful candidate may be located in the Dallas-Fort Worth area or in a US region that actively funds international missions, where the candidate has personal, trusted connections.
The Senior Director of Development will play an essential role in funding LivingStone’s annual budget of $1.6 million. This is a cutting-edge opportunity for a fundraising professional who wants to join an excellent mission, led by a powerhouse team, and employ their faith and courage to see God continue to provide.
This person will collaborate with the Executive Director in setting strategy for university advancement and raise funds for the University and other programs determined as priority. In conjunction with the Executive Director, he/she will develop and coordinate the program to raise funds and meet the financial objectives, as well as organize activities to raise funds or solicit and gather monetary donations or other gifts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop the fundraising plan, detailing goals, actions steps, responsibilities of staff/volunteers and budget projections
- Build transformational, ongoing donor relationships, leading all moves of donor development
- Monitor and report fundraising activities and progress, targeting and exceeding activity levels correlated with success
- Research possible large contributors, including foundations, corporations and individuals
- Make solicitations that benefit the University
Education and Experience
- 2–5 years in relational fundraising for an NGO, charity, religious or educational organization
- Bachelor’s degree in progress or completed
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated success in relational fundraising, generating gifts totaling $1M+
- Preferred: Experience developing gifts from a variety of private funding sources (including individuals, foundations, corporations and churches)
- Has deployed fundraising concepts and techniques, including moves management
- Inspires passion for Christian mission, ideally in Africa and via higher education
- Excellent, persuasive spoken and written personal communication skills
- Works engagingly with staff, board, donors and volunteers within the US and Uganda, including among Christians of varying denominations, advancing unity and collaboration
- Interacts with sensitivity and discernment to people of different denominations and cultures
- Leads others, demonstrating a servant’s heart
- Has a maturing, personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Energetic, persistent and patient: uses “grit” until achieves results
- A self-starter, able to multitask, problem-solve and adapt to changes
- Maintains high level of confidentiality