This position has been filled.
The Medical Institute for Sexual Health (MI) is the preeminent source of medically accurate information equipping influencers to empower youth—and others—to achieve optimal sexual health so they can enjoy lives with more promise of freedom and success. It was founded in 1992 by Joe S. McIlhaney, Jr., M.D.—a prominent obstetrician/gynecologist and infertility specialist—out of his frustration that no national medical organizations were warning young people (especially) that their sexual involvement could cause them great pain and life limitations later on.
What began as a presentation at a local high school has evolved into what has become a leading voice providing medically accurate, research-based sexual health information to diverse audiences, ranging from healthcare professionals and educators to policymakers, parents and youth through conferences, trainings, brochures, videos and books. Their materials are science-based, medically accurate, and age-appropriate.
MI has partnered with many prominent individuals and institutions over the years—including former President George W. Bush, former Surgeon General David Satcher, former HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson, Dr. Julie Gerberding, former Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family & FamilyTalk—to promote and expand its message and influence. They continue to maintain complete and accurate sexual health information and producing materials to disseminate that information.
The organization is currently led by Dr. McIlhaney, and has recently relocated its headquarters from Austin, TX to the North Dallas area. They are in the process of rebuilding their staff team there. Over the years, the organization’s budget has ranged from $250,000 to $2 million annually, depending on projects and initiatives, with funding being provided by individuals and foundations as well as federal and state grants. This position is required to be located in the DFW area.
The Executive Director will set the direction for and manage the leadership team. Reporting to—and working closely with—the Founder & CEO, will help set a course for the organization and is integral to growing the Medical Institute to the next level, and progressively growing the reach of MI.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Direct the fundraising efforts of the organization in collaboration with the Board.
- Direct new initiatives for the organization; have the vision to see what would strategically enhance the mission of the organization.
- Establish and manage relationships with key audience stakeholders, such as pregnancy resource centers, sexuality education groups or major donors for these causes.
- Assist the CEO and Board in creation of the overall strategic plan and the methodologies that come from it.
- Analyze, assess and pursue opportunities on behalf of the organization.
- Build and lead a team, as the organization grows. Exercise judgment and solve problems without daily oversight.
- Manage time and workload.
- Review and plan a budget.
- Ten (10) years of experience in public health advocacy, the medical field, or nonprofit leadership, including leadership experience.
- Required: A Master’s degree in a relevant field, MBA or Doctorate preferred. Desired fields would include Public Health, Health Education, Community Health Promotion or Epidemiology, or an MD with an MBA.
- Experience with fundraising, including both major gifts and/or grant writing.
- Familiarity with public health initiatives and organizations like the Center for Disease Control, National Institute of Health, Pew Research and the National Center for Sexual Exploitation.
- A willingness and ability to travel within the United States and Canada.
This position has been filled.
To learn more about the work of the Medical Institute, please visit their website at www.medinstitute.org.