This position has been filled.
Founded in 1952, Compassion International is a Christian child development organization headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA that works to release children from poverty in Jesus’ name. Compassion revolutionized the fight against global poverty by working exclusively with the Church to lift children out of spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty. They partner with more than 6,700 local churches in 25 countries to deliver their holistic child development program to over 1.8 million babies, children and young adults.
The Manager of Audit is a brand new position and will take a special blend of operational audit experience. These audits are not merely financial – although that is a key part – but also include operational effectiveness, as well as HR and IT processes and procedures. Someone with strictly a banking and/or accounting background will probably not be a fit. An internal auditor for a mid to large company in the for-profit world is ideal; someone with broad experience (not in one specialized industry) who has functioned internationally and cross-culturally. The ideal candidate could also be currently working at a public accounting firm that has worked with a broad cross-section of clients across various industries.
There are two primary types of audits that are conducted: (1) Partnership Assessments that assess how the relationship is working between the local church partner and Compassion as a whole, and (2) Global Process Audits. They are usually 6–8 of these per year that review various processes and their implementation and implications both globally and locally.
Ideally, this position would be located in one of the six cities in Asia that in which Compassion has operations – Manila, Philippines; Chiang Mai (or Bangkok), Thailand; Bandung or Manado, Indonesia; Colombo, Sri Lanka; or Dhaka, Bangladesh. He/she could also live in any other major city in any of these five countries (due to ease of airport access).
Stylistically, this cross-cultural leader should be collaborative, team-oriented, and sensitive to the effects of his/her actions and communications on people. They should be adaptable and invigorated by challenges. Terms like highly relational, team-oriented, developer/leader, a big picture thinker with analytical skills, adaptable, inquisitive and strong manager apply.
The Manager of Audit will provide management and oversight of the Audit Supervisors in the Asia region. They will collaborate with global leaders to coordinate audit activities throughout Compassion’s operations. His/her team uses their passion and skills to facilitate organizational accountability and integrity through a variety of audit-related activities, including global process audits, local partnership assessments, supporting management requests, and investigations. The cross-cultural leader uses their strong virtual management abilities to provide coaching and guidance to Audit Supervisors as their teams provide assurance around the effectiveness and efficiency of Compassion operations. The regional leader applies their strong, professional internal audit background and operational experience to bring an enterprise and regional perspective to their audit team’s successful achievement of department responsibilities. They will develop his/her team to understand global operations, enterprise risk management, and the control framework.
The Manager of Audit’s overall responsibilities include working closely with the Audit Management Team to ensure successful implementation of departmental practices within the approved budget, aligning work to support organizational strategy, and developing cross-functional relationships with other functions’ regional leaders. His/her people management responsibilities include hiring, coaching, performance management, discipline, and termination, as well as, assigning, checking and approving work to support the achievement of department objectives.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Compassion, and faithfully upholds Compassion’s ministry in prayer.
- Acts as an advocate for children – raising the awareness of the needs, neglect, nurture, and potential of children in poverty and challenging and enabling those within one’s influence to greater involvement and effectiveness on behalf of children.
- Provides leadership, planning and consultation to subordinates, executives, and peer management in the successful alignment of assigned department resources to ensure achievement of operational priorities and initiatives, integrating priorities within organizational strategies to ensure that department’s purpose is fulfilled.
- Contributes to or prepares and administers the annual budget and departmental expenses, ensuring accountability for on-time completion of deliverables based on department objectives, SLAs, and other Compassion standards, ensuring compliance with regulatory and board policies.
- Selects, manages and develops assigned staff, establishing goals and objectives, coaching and managing performance, including discipline, motivation, and annual reviews; supports continuous learning and development that enhances individual performance and organizational capability.
- Partners with ministry leaders, managers, and other audit and risk management professionals, collaborating across functions to plan and manage audits that review supporting documents for Compassion operations to ensure organizational accountability and integrity and maintain operational excellence.
- Provides professional, insightful recommendations concerning key decisions on Compassion’s standards, controls, programs, and processes. Implements initiatives to improve consistency, scalability, quality and efficiency of audits; provides opinion and assurance on control framework issues, including: internal policies and procedures, industry standards and requirements, and regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that assigned staff conduct audits and investigations in a manner that builds partnership with Compassion and Partners and is successful in identifying root causes that can be corrected to ensure ongoing improvement and future successes.
- May travel to Compassion project sites to participate in or lead the audit operational and financial systems, administration records, accountability procedures, staffing, planning, budgets, specific key result indicators, legal compliance and general management practices. Ensures that audits are conducted in a facilitative manner, emphasizing opportunities for training and development of ministry partner workers.
- Has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Believes in and adheres to Compassion International’s Statement of Faith.
- Commits to live by Compassion International’s Leadership Principles.
- Bachelor’s Degree Accounting, Finance, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, or related discipline.
- Must be fluent in English, both written and verbal. Bilingual in a secondary language (native to the region) is preferred.
- Seven (7) years minimum of operational auditing experience strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to manage and lead both regional and cross cultural teams.
NOTE: Equivalent education, training and/or certification may be substituted for experience and education shown above.
Licenses & Certifications
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) granted by The Institute of Internal Auditors, or similar credential.
- May be required to travel up to 40% of normal schedule.
- The manager must demonstrate the ability to develop positive and trusting cross-cultural relationships.
- Salary is competitive in the nonprofit field and is based on location and experience. Benefits are offered based on corporate policy. More information is available upon request.
This position has been filled.
To learn more about the work of Compassion International, please visit www.compassion.com.