Vice President, Ministry Development
Church Development Fund (now CDF Capital)
Since its beginning more than sixty years ago, Church Development Fund (now CDF Capital) has provided financing for the expansion, building and growth of churches and ministries all across the United States, thanks to thousands of individuals who have invested roughly $600 million.
CDF’s mission is, simply stated, to Help Ministries Grow. It was established primarily to provide financial assistance to churches – specifically to a fellowship of churches that typically define themselves as being a part of what has become known as the “Restoration Movement.” As such, their lending and investment activities are limited to only independent Christian Churches, Churches of Christ, or other autonomous churches or ministries exemplifying the characteristics of congregations and ministries that are identified with the Movement.
CDF is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Irvine, California as part of the larger Provision Ministry Group. It has approximately 40 full-time and part-time employees, most of which are located at their main office, with a network of field representatives throughout the country. The organization is sound, vibrant, growing and excited about the future.
Church Development Fund is known for connecting members of their affiliated churches with a Kingdom-expanding purpose as well as for providing creative financial solutions to churches that help them grow their ministries. As such, the organization provides two main services: (1) loans for expansion of church ministry and facilities and (2) investment opportunities for individuals and churches who desire to both invest in the work of Kingdom expansion and realize a reasonable financial return on that investment.
CDF is led by Dusty Rubeck, who has served as its president since early 2014, following ten years as president of Dallas Christian College, Lou Myers, its EVP of Lending & Investments, whose professional career spans 35 years of local, regional and international experience in commercial banking, and Phil Pike, EVP/COO, who has been on staff for 13 years after nearly a decade of executive experience in banks and credit unions.
OPPORTUNITY & CHALLENGE
This is an excellent opportunity for someone experienced in business development and relational sales who is well-connected within the Restoration Movement (the Midwest was the birthplace of this movement and continues to be a strong and growing region). The ideal candidate must be able to work within an accountability structure but still exhibit creativity and innovation at the point of execution – not regarding structure, process, planning and reporting, which are already well-established and effective – and can function well within a corporate environment. They do not need to be a “product specialist,” as CDF will provide adequate training to equip this individual regarding the various services and products offered across Provision Ministry Group. They do, however, need to be able to relate well to senior pastors and executive pastors, while bringing a gravitas and expertise to the relationship.
Two teams – one for investments and the other for loans – have recently been consolidated, so this particular position is new to the organization. There is competition that is pushing into this market and CDF’s presence has not been strong in recent years.
There are just over 900 Christian Churches along what CDF refers to as the “I-35 Corridor”, which includes Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas Nebraska and parts of Missouri (about 150 are congregations of 300 or more), already representing a significant portfolio of church clients and investors and a substantial opportunity for CDF to pursue its ministry.
Key characteristics will also include:
- Currently working and residing in the specific geographical territory
- A strong network and is well connected to the large and mega churches and church leadership in the assigned territory
- Understanding, sharing and able to advocate the theology of the Restoration Movement
- Has demonstrated the ability to connect and relate to new as well as established churches and has shown a capability to effectively communicate with leadership of all generations
- Can demonstrate a personal and professional history of working with the Senior Pastors and Executive Pastors in the specific market
- Has a persuasive personality and formerly worked in a sales-related position in corporate business such as insurance, pharmaceutical, investment/brokerage industries or outside sales in manufacturing
- Can balance the need to “close the deal” with the mission, objectives and targets of CDF
- Must have excellent communication and presentation skills in a small and large group setting
- Must be capable of working in a collaborative environment
- Must have good phone skills and be willing to “work the phones” for prospecting purposes
- Must demonstrate a history of excellent work ethic and be willing to work beyond a normal work week as necessary from time to time
Job Title: Vice President, Ministry Development
Reports To: Executive Vice President, Lending & Investments
Location: Preferably Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth area) but could be elsewhere in TX or OK
Territory: The “I-35 Corridor”, which includes Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and parts of Missouri
The Vice President, Ministry Development is responsible for identifying and developing opportunities in an assigned territory for all services and products offered by the Church Development Fund and Provision Ministry Group. Further, this position will develop and maintain an active network of church leaders within the assigned territory in order to enhance his/her ability to identify qualified opportunities.
- A territory is normally comprised of at least a single state but could be multiple states in some cases.
- Total number of churches in an assigned territory may be as many as 600.
- Primary focus is Restoration Movement churches with 200+ members.
- Schools and Colleges associated with the Christian Church/Restoration Movement operating in the assigned territory are also potential clients.
- As a representative of CDF, call on churches and schools to build relationships with their leadership and identify needs that can be fulfilled with the services offered by CDF and Provision Ministry Group.
- Present CDF / Provision services to church leadership and prequalify opportunities for CDF / Provision services using a predetermined list of questions and information for each service.
- Refer qualified opportunities to a designated product specialist and make the introduction of the specialist to the church. The specialist will manage the opportunity to closing.
- Maintain an ongoing overall relationship with each church in the assigned territory to continue the process of identifying additional qualified opportunities and to assure CDF is delivering satisfactory service to each church.
- Identify, build, and maintain a network of contacts with church leadership primarily with churches of 200 in attendance and above.
- Attend select regional events for the purpose of developing relationships and prospecting for new opportunities.
- Record all activity and information collected into the CRM system.
- Represents CDF from time to time with product specialists in presentations to the church and its congregation.
- Develop and maintain adequate knowledge of all CDF/Provision services through training, participation in field team sessions and contact with CDF/Provision service partners.
- Develop and agree, with Executive Vice President of Lending and Investment, plans and budgets to achieve all business development and financial goals for the assigned territory.
- Provide regular reports of progress in achieving goals and objectives.
- Monitor and assist in customer service for investors, when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understands and can advocate the theology of our Restoration Movement.
- Previous experience as a leader in a local independent Christian/Restoration Movement church.
- A business and/or ministry degree with successful experience in sales.
- Resides in the assigned territory.
- Has a strong network of large and mega church leadership in the assigned territory.
- Possesses the ability to ask penetrating questions and can identify needs that can be fulfilled by our services.
- Understands what comprises successful church ministry and has the ability to recognize creative, appropriate solutions.
- Ability to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, and rapid change to reach ultimate team objectives.
- Functions effectively in a collaborative environment.
- Able to travel, staying away from home nights and occasional weekends.
- A persuasive personality and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral/written communication skills.
- A Series 63 license for state securities agent registration (if not already achieved, CDF will provide the training to take the required examinations).
- Strong computer skills including experience with MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, as well as familiarity with database programs.
- Salary Range: Competitive and commensurate with related experience and expertise.
- Benefits: Choice of family medical plans through Aetna, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, FSAs, Life Insurance, 403(b) or 401(k) Plans.
- Vacation: Accrued after 90 days of service. Based on length of service and years of industry experience.
- Relocation: Negotiable, if required.
To download the full Organization & Position Profile, click here.
To learn more about Church Development Fund, please visit www.cdfcapital.org.