President & CEO
Willow Creek Association
Founded in 1992, Willow Creek Association (WCA) serves pioneering pastor and leaders through world-class leadership experiences and resources. The WCA is committed to a singular idea: that inspired, encouraged and equipped Christian leaders create thriving local churches that redeem their local communities.
The WCA’s passion is to help Christians worldwide – men and women – realize God’s vision for their lives, churches and communities through sharing ideas and building partnerships. Through the Global Leadership Summit (GLS), Partners and WCA Membership, they deliver vision and inspiration to resourced regions of the world and bring training and opportunity to under-resourced regions.
The GLS is a two-day, world-class leadership event experienced by more than 250,000 leaders around the world, representing more than 15,000 churches. It is telecast live from the campus of Willow Creek Community Church (near Chicago) every August. Throughout the fall, Summit events take place in an additional 400 cities around the world and in translated into 50+ languages. Long the cornerstone event for the WCA and, in reality, for the Christian leadership world as a whole, the Global Leadership Summit has featured some of the most gifted and experienced global leaders in the world as key speakers, including Patrick Lencioni, Erwin McManus, Andy Stanley, Carly Fiorina, Jeffrey Immelt, John Ortberg, Tony Blair, Gary Haugen, Seth Godin, Craig Groeschel, Tony Dungy, Jack Welch, Christine Caine, Louie Giglio, Henry Cloud and Jim Collins…to name a few.
From just under 7,000 US attendees in 2000, the Summit now draws more than 100,000 attendees at approximately 400 host sites in the USA and, in 2015, 165,000 attendees at 700+ host sites internationally in more than 120 countries.
The Willow Creek Association is a membership association committed to serving pioneering church leaders with vision, training and resources to take more ground for Christ and continue to thrive and grow. The churches and leaders they serve share a commitment to follow Christ, take risks, make sacrifices and do whatever it takes to build churches that are more effective at what matters most — redeeming and restoring our broken world for Christ. More than 3500 churches in the USA are members of the WCA and nearly 10,000 worldwide.
The Association provides tools and resources to support leaders globally. In fact, every purchase made through the WCA supports their efforts to provide these same types of resources to leaders in under-resourced areas of the world.
Position Title: President & CEO
Reports To: The WCA Board of Directors on all strategic matters, goals and fiduciary matters with interaction on day-to-day matters with the current Chairman of the Board and Senior Pastor of WCCC.
Location: Barrington, IL (a suburb of Chicago)
Position Description: The President & CEO reports to the Board of Directors with frequent day-to-day interaction with the Chairman of the Board, who is also Senior Pastor of Willow Creek Community Church, a close partner of the WCA. He/she is responsible to implement the vision, mission and current strategic plan to achieve organizational goals.
Direct Reports: The WCA Executive Team (CFO, VP/HR & Legal, EVP/Events, Church Relations & Publishing, VP/International Conferences, VP/International Ministries, VP/Development & Marketing), with dotted line leadership to the ten global affiliate leaders.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all executives to ensure achievement of annual and set long-term goals.
- Ensure continued development and management of a professional and productive organization with efficient decision making processes in direct dependence on God’s guidance and direction.
- Implement and refine the strategic plan and principal thrust in close partnership with the Executive Team, as approved by the Board while ensuring that financial targets and organizational culture targets are met.
- Strengthen partnerships with WCA members, GLS host sites and strategic ministry partners.
- Maintain or strengthen public image of the WCA among all target audiences while maintaining biblical values, especially as it regards to contentious issues of our time.
- Strengthen marketing, social media and branding programs and strategies and dramatically improve the presence and accessibility of WCA resources and services on e-platforms.
- In strong cooperation with the Board, maintain a diverse and inclusive Board that is highly engaged and willing to leverage their networks and connections for the benefit of the goals of the WCA.
Finance and Development
- Oversee the financial status and ensure proper financial controls are in place with funds being allocated in accordance with good stewardship and priorities set by the strategic and annual plan.
- Ensure that proper records and documents are kept in line with government and ECFA guidelines and regulations.
- Approval overall fundraising strategy and plans, and personally support fundraising efforts by being available for major donor visits, key donor events, and written communication.
- Strong evidence of a mature relationship with Christ and a Christian witness.
- At least 20–25 years of professional experience in nonprofit or for-profit organizations demonstrating increasing growth of responsibilities and results.
- Global experience in multi-country operations a must.
- An active participant of a local church that holds to a historic, orthodox understanding of biblical Christianity.
- A demonstrated passion for the work of the local church through extensive personal involvement at a volunteer or staff level.
- Working knowledge of the WCA’s work and the GLS.
- Significant experience interacting with Board and senior leadership level executives regarding fundraising, marketing/branding and strategic planning.
- Financial savvy and politically astute leader with an ability to set clear priorities, delegate, coach and guide staff at all levels for personal development and goal achievement purposes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, persuasive negotiator, and consensus builder.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
- Ability to travel 70–100 days per year, primarily overseas.
- Character: Constructive attitude, genuine humility, spiritual vitality, and teachable character
- Competence: Skills match, resilient flexibility, results driven, and God-honoring excellence
- Chemistry: Relationally intelligent, works collaboratively, and shared commitment to the cause
PLEASE NOTE: We are not currently accepting
online applications for this position.