Pastor of Operations (COO)
Mariners Church is a vibrant, growing and reaching congregation of more than 13,000 on four campuses throughout Orange County, the largest of which is its main campus in Irvine. Its other locations in Mission Viejo, Huntington Beach and Ocean Hills are part of the growing Mariners Church Network. Leadership Network has it as #35 on its list of the largest churches in America and, even at its current size, it’s still in the top 50 of fastest growing churches according to Outreach Magazine.
There are four weekend services on the Irvine campus (5pm/Saturday and 9am, 11am and 7pm Sunday), which sits on 51 acres at the corner of Newport Coast Drive and Bonita Canyon Drive. The services feature world-class modern contemporary worship music and inspired, Biblically-based, topical teaching. Church facilities include an 81,000-square-foot worship center seating 3,900, a bookstore and café, a 63,000-square-foot children’s ministry building (Port Mariners), the Student Center, a beautiful chapel, an administrative building, a parking structure, and play fields.
The annual budget for 2015 is just north of $20 million. There are approximately 250 FTEs (all campuses), including 28 full-time pastors.
Position Title: Pastor of Operations
Reports to: Executive Pastor
Direct Reports: Finance, Human Resources, Facilities/Development, IT, Bookstore, Café, Stewardship, and possibly Preschool.
Description: A staff leader and team developer with proven, long-term operational experience and expertise, strong financial acumen and excellent systems skills combined with a pastor’s heart.
Responsibilities: Lead the Shared Services Team for the Mariners Church Network (currently 4 campuses), including overseeing operations, budgeting, reporting, policies, facilities and facility development.
The Shared Services Team is a talented but highly diverse group of individuals that will require someone with a rather broad skillset to effectively lead them. The team ranges from strong operationally-minded people to pastor/shepherds and are highly experienced, representing varying communication styles and personalities. This position will require someone with strong business acumen and operational skills that can lead and build an experienced team while sitting above the day-to-day. They will need to see things at a high level while also possessing a firsthand understanding of key financial and operational details. They must be able to participate in formulating and–more importantly–executing strategy, be deep in their faith, and have a pastoral heart. This person should be a seasoned manager who can be effective at working at all levels of the organization … someone who is self-motivated but open to direction … someone who is wise and savvy and not easily provoked or offended by a fast-paced and multi-faceted entrepreneurial culture. And it’s likely that this person will be a technical expert in one or more of the areas that report into this position. Finally, while there will certainly be a number of opportunities for ministry within the overall work of the church, the ideal candidate should view their role of leading these important operations and services of the church as being their core ministry.
- A strong sense of God’s hand guiding their home, work and ministry.
- 10+ years of operational leadership experience at a COO, VP or Director–level in the corporate or nonprofit world with companies/organizations of at least $12 million in annual revenues and/or 100+ fulltime employees
- Strong financial understanding. CPA accreditation is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree. Masters degree preferred.
- A cultural fit at Mariners Church.
- A bright, proven, highly experienced and seasoned COO-type manager of people.
- A self-managed, self-motivated, results-oriented person who makes things happen, anticipates well, find solutions (not just identifies problems), and gets things done.
- The ability to bring clarity, simplicity and to systematize processes and challenges for a multi–campus church.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- The heart to facilitate an environment of trust, love and unity in God’s service.
- Trained and experienced in developing and managing people and teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively internally.
- Excellent organizational and systems skills.
Note: Please apply only if you meet the minimum COO/VP/Director–level leadership experience above.
To download the full Church & Position Profile, click here.
To visit the Mariners Church website, click here.