|Livingwater is a non-denominational church that was planted in the heart of Berkeley in 2002. Livingwater Church is a very unique church with an incredible story and future. Livingwater is a community of real people who love each other and their church. Livingwater has a passion and vision to impact the city of Berkeley, especially the University of California at Berkeley. There is a committed core of volunteers and leaders who get that Livingwater is about connecting the Gospel to people, people to community and community to the Kingdom.
Livingwater is passionate in everything they do. Livingwater’s style is casual and they want people to experience God’s grace and love in every encounter. Livingwater holds a good tension between production excellence and authentic worship. Livingwater is in an exciting season as they refocus their vision and mission of forging communities that inspire, equip and release disciples who are experiencing God and sharing his presence, love, truth and power with everyone in their community.
Livingwater exists to make disciples of all people in the San Francisco Bay Area through the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20). Everything Livingwater does flows from this idea. Livingwater believes that everyone is on one step or another in their faith journey and passionate about helping people take their next step forward.
The top five strengths of Livingwater would be:
1. Incredible reputation in the community because of community involvement and engagement
2. Great weekend services with bold, practical, contextualized, gospel-centric teaching
3. An aggressive, raw pursuit of broken people and things
4. A heart for college students and millennials
5. Freedom and desire to experiment and try new things and approaches to ministry
|Livingwater seeks a fulltime Senior Pastor who will provide the primary leadership, teaching, and vision for the church while maintaining Livingwater’s core values, mission, biblical teaching, discipleship, leadership development and training, and outreach. The Senior Pastor is an entrepreneurial minister with a God-given ability to make things happen, who thrives on plowing new ground. The Senior Pastor needs to be a powerful preacher who is able to speak truth in an effective way. The Senior Pastor is responsible for the overall leadership and direction of the church staff, leading all functional areas in the accomplishment of the church’s mission.
The Senior Pastor will be the primary individual responsible for vision casting, teaching and leading the congregation towards Livingwater’s mission and values. Church authority and decision-making is shared among the Council of Elders, who he will partner with to:
• Provide visionary, strategic, and collaborative leadership for the life and ministry of the church, bringing discernment and focus to priorities that support the vision.
• Oversee the progress of the church’s mission through ministry effectiveness evaluation, discernment, decision-making, planning and overall direction of ministry staff.
• Lead all ministry staff in the establishment and ongoing direction of ministries that effectively reach the church’s
• demographic, ensuring the accomplishment of the overall mission.
• Be responsible for the teaching and preaching of Sunday services, providing biblically sound, relevant and practical
• Display a passion for God, a Christ-like spirit, and maintain a daily personal devotional time.
• Exhibit a godly marriage and biblical family values within his own life, not just preaching it on Sundays.
• Provide teaching, counseling, discipleship, and leadership development and training to Livingwater members
• Attend church staff meetings and meet with ministry leaders on a regular basis.
Top 4 qualities we are looking for in a Senior Pastor:
• Good Father: A man who lived and learned how to set healthy family culture and values; who puts his family first and is able to teach on boundaries by being an exemplary father.
• Humble Leader: A leader who sees wide range of leadership in congregations and empower them to grow/serve at their full capacity.
• Good Teacher: A man who finds joy in teaching in both personal and public setting; who is recognized as a gifted
• Spirit-filled Leader: Not necessarily “charismatic” but sensitive to His Spirit’s guidance. Exercise gifts of Holy Spirit both privately and openly.
• BA/BS degree
• Theological and pastoral training (MDiv highly preferred)
• Minimum of 4 years of senior pastoral leadership experience
• The candidate must have a proven track record of ministry, preferably in a multi-staff church setting.
• Excellent, engaging communicator able to teach scripture with purpose/application and convey the vision and mission of the church to its members, regular attendees, visitors and those in the community.
• Qualities of authenticity, vulnerability, and transparency, which are evident in personal life, family relationships, and ministry.
• Able to deal with conflict directly, openly, honestly and graciously
• Has solid time management and organizational skills.