Executive Vice President, Field Ministries
The vision of East-West Ministries International is to glorify God by multiplying followers of Jesus in the spiritually darkest areas of the world. In that light, its mission is to mobilize the Body of Christ to evangelize the lost and equip local believers to multiply disciples and healthy churches among unreached people groups and/or in restricted access communities. They accomplish this by focusing on church planting movement strategies led and implemented by indigenous partners.
East-West is a $19 million organization working in 54 countries, headquartered in Plano, TX. Its four-fold ministry is to:
- Mobilize the Body of Christ (Acts 1:8) by engaging partners to reach the world for Christ through long-term mission assignments, short-term mission trips and church partnerships. They currently have more than 200 missionaries working around the globe.
- Evangelize the lost (Matthew 28:19–20) by using a variety of avenues to share the good news of Jesus Christ, including short-term missions teams, trained national evangelists, national church outreach and mass evangelism projects. They have established a network of trained national leaders in every field of ministry to follow up with the seeds that have been scattered and with new believers.
- Equip local believers (II Timothy 2:2) since there are many areas of the world with people who desire to further the gospel and plant new churches who have never been provided with the right tools, training and resources.
- Multiply disciples and churches (Acts 16:5) by establishing churches with the purpose of engaging unreached people groups and areas with limited access to the gospel. Their ultimate purpose is to facilitate national-led church planting movements (CPM). Across the globe, they are equipping spiritually mature national leaders to adequately lead and multiply this type of Christ-centered church.
The Executive Vice President of Field Ministries (EVP-FM) must have direct experience with the global Church Planting Movement (CPM), particularly as detailed in T4T: A Discipleship Re-Revolution by Steve Smith (click here for a summary).
He/She will direct and coordinate all mission-wide field ministries (FM) and oversee the health, resourcing and development of all field employees. Working with the five FM Vice Presidents, the EVP-FM will strategize and implement new ministries, evaluate and align all ministry endeavors, and ensure accurate statistical gathering. To be successful in this position, the EVP-FM will establish and maintain effective and efficient FM strategies as well as build and manage the FM structure to carry out the established strategies and have the ability to recruit key talent to the FM Team. This should result in EWMI expanding its overall ministry in a stable, reliable manner as well as a FM structure that is carried out by a coordinated team of people and an increased number of quality employees who remain with the organization over long periods of time. The EVP-FM will serve on the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) as well as lead the Field Leadership Team (FLT) and the Big Leadership Team (BLT), and be responsible for a portion of project and general fundraising. The EVP-FM will serve as the Chief Security Officer, exercising final authority on security decisions and operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership (Vision, Strategy, Talent, Culture) to the Field Ministries of EWMI. – 45%
- Lead and act as Hiring Manager for Vice President positions of Evangelism, Equipping, Multiplication, Mobilization, and Regional Mangers.
- Coordinate the formulation and implementation of vision and strategy for Field Ministry Projects.
- Identify and respond to trends and developments that impact Field Ministries effectiveness.
- Oversee the development of the Field Ministries annual plans and budgets.
- Maintain all field ministries policies and assures that all field ministry personnel are acquainted with them, making sure all field staff receives adequate and timely communications of home office information.
- Seek to add to the talent of the Field Ministries Team. Provide guidance and input to Mobilization as they expand the field ministries team.
- Prepare for and lead field ministry meetings, including the annual Field Leaders’ Conference and FLT meetings. – 10%
- Make 3–4 strategic trips to specific fields each year. – 5%
- Participate in the relevant field and leadership teams and meetings. – 10%
- Develop and maintain network of personal support. Please note: This is a personal support-raised position with a target minimum and maximum. – 10%
- Assist the CEO and the President in raising General Fund/Project support. – 10%
- Serve as the Chief Security Officer and as the overseer and final authority on security decisions and operations. Demonstrate commitment to lead personnel in education and training advancement. – 5%
- Other duties as assigned. – 5%
Education and Experience
- 2–5 years minimum experience working in a similar role, with CPM experience.
- 2–5 years of ministry/nonprofit experience, required.
- 10+ years in significant leadership roles.
- 5-10 years of cross-cultural/international missions service.
- Has lived and served outside of the US on the field as a missionary for a minimum of five (5) years.
- Trained biblically and theologically.
- Experienced in cross-cultural ministry.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to travel overseas at least 4–6 weeks a year.
- Ability to raise personal support as well as develop and manage a personal ministry budget.
- Demonstrated teaching, leadership and shepherding skills.
- Strong initiative, motivation and ability to complete tasks on time.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including proficiency in evaluating and prioritizing issues.
- Solid judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to handle sensitive situations with confidentiality, poise, and tact.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Flexibility to quickly respond to changing situations in order to meet business needs, reprioritizing work as necessary.
- Ability to execute decisions or directions with confidence.
- Servant leader with the ability to motivate others.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with solid organization, process and planning skills.
- Advanced Seminary Degree, strongly preferred.
- Trained in cross-cultural ministry.
- Trained well enough biblically and theologically to provide wise guidance to those ministering in evangelism, training and church planting.
- Able to think strategically and lead other leaders with vision and diplomacy.
To learn more about the work of East-West Ministries International, please visit www.eastwest.org.
To download the full Organization & Position Profile, click here.