Executive Director, Marketing & Development
This position has been filled.
EducateMe is looking for its very first Executive Director, a part-time position (15 hours/week). The mission of the organization is to sponsor and mentor poor but high potential African children who cannot afford access to quality education. The organization screens and identifies poor children with high potential, matches them with a quality Christian school and mentors them as they develop their potential as future leaders in their communities. EducateMe also offers supporters in the United States the opportunity to transform a needy world, one child at a time.
Founded in 2014, the organization’s current annual budget is only about $45,000. Funding for this brand new, part-time Executive Director position has been made possible by an anonymous donor with the belief that overall funding can grow to cover this and more within the next two years.
EducateMe has three full-time staff based in Kampala whose responsibility is to serve as “Child Advocates”. They work closely with the schools and the families, but most importantly mentor the children, all with the goal of helping the children to thrive educationally, socially, and spiritually. They currently support 125 children in eighteen Christian schools, most based with fifteen miles of the capital city. The two founders are based in Washington, DC, but since there is no physical US office, the Executive Director will effectively work alone from home, though in close collaboration with the two founders. The ideal candidate must already reside in the DC area and must be looking for a part-time position that could ultimately expand to a full-time role as the organization continues to grow.
The organization needs to develop a more consistent fundraising model, both for child sponsorships and with major donors (including effective grant writing). Donor retention must also be improved and there needs to be a more consistent approach to marketing & communications generally. There are natural opportunities to develop and implement partnership models for churches and private Christian schools in the US. The bottom line is that the organization needs to grow its fundraising base in order to be long-term sustainable and ultimately impactful.
The ideal candidate is someone who has previously worked in fundraising with an international Christian NGO. Because this is a part-time position, they would imagine someone like a stay-at-home parent with relevant experience whose children are old enough that they want to step back into the marketplace, but would like to do so on a part-time basis (with the potential to grow to full time). He/she must be an entrepreneurial self-starter who is highly collaborative, but excited about leading and driving a very young organization toward bigger and better goals and objectives. Terms like leader, self-starting, goal-oriented, execution-focused, and highly communicative apply here, and the ED will also have the opportunity to serve as the voice and face of the organization as it grows.
Duties & Responsibilities
Fundraising: Develop and implement the organization’s fundraising strategy, working in collaboration with the founders. Specific focus on the following areas:
- Major Donor Fundraising
- Child Sponsorship
- Church & Christian School Engagement
- Event Planning
- Online & Social Media Engagement
- Foundation Grant Writing (as needed)
Management: Manage and oversee all aspects of organization both in the US and Uganda.
- Maintain and update data on Donors, Children and Partner Schools.
- Manage online and social fundraising tools.
- Oversee the management of the organization’s finances, tracking bank account, income and expenditures and distributing funds to Ugandan operations (formal accounting is managed by external accountant).
- Coordinate Child Updates from Uganda team to Sponsors and communications between Sponsors and their Sponsored Children.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Nonprofit fundraising experience, preferably in a professional context, though substantial volunteer fundraising will be considered.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to deliver high-quality presentations and speak in public settings.
- Strong planning skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities and function as a self-starter.
- Passion for education and love for disadvantaged children in the developing world.
- Ability to travel as needed in the US and to Uganda at least at least one week per year.
- Mature Christian faith.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $30,000 annually (part-time)
- Benefits: None
- Vacation: Negotiable
This position has been filled.
To learn more about the ministry of EducateMe, please visit their website at www.educateme.org.