Over my forty years of vocational ministry, I have tried to focus on a number of personal and professional areas:
- Personal Spiritual health…Devotion as a Christ Follower
- Relational health, marriage, family, friendship
- Physical health
- Ministerial growth and development
It can be incredibly difficult to find balance among these 4 areas, especially when they all are a priority! It requires intentional, consistent work and letting others pour into you to stay healthy and balanced. I’ve been more successful in some areas than others, and from time to time I have moved with more focus on 1 or 2 than all 4. However, each of the areas have and do remain important goals for focus and attention.
It’s helpful to keep these 4 areas in view every day, because life has a way of simply unfolding. If you are intentional and determined, you can find resources to learn something new in every area, every day. It’s sometimes difficult to slow down enough to learn the lessons of the moment, but it is necessary to be as purposeful as possible in every area — not just for your own health, but for your team’s health as well.
So where do you start?
From websites and blogs, to podcasts and books, I began collecting a list of resources to help me be intentional in all 4 personal and professional areas of growth in my life. Finding applicable resources helps me to break down the significant pieces of my life and invest the appropriate amount of time and energy on those areas. Otherwise I am prone to focus too much on 1 area for too long, leaving me in an unhealthy balance.
Here are my top 10 resources for growing spiritually, relationally, physically, and ministerially:
- The Bible (What else did you expect?). Seriously….read it and let it read you!
- My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers
- The Jesus Prescription for a Healthy Life by Leonard Sweet
- Relationships 101 by John C. Maxwell
- Crucial Conversations by Patterson, Grenny, McMillian, Switzler
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John C. Maxwell
- Crazy Love by Francis Chan
- Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy by Walter C Willett, MD
Be Blessed and Be Balanced.